Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Maggie DeGroot feature on CSN

There's a great feature on Augsburg women's soccer goalkeeper Maggie DeGroot on the College Sporting News website (click here to read it). The feature is written by Rich Mies, as part of his MIAC Profiles of Excellence series, where he profiles outstanding senior student-athletes from MIAC schools.

Here's a great quote from Maggie about being at Augsburg:
“At Augsburg, you are very free to be yourself,” she said. “I’ve always felt welcome for being me. I love Minneapolis and being in the city, and I enjoy being involved in the community. I’ve gotten a great education, which has challenged me, too. I will come out a much more critical thinker. The Liberal Arts education here has helped make me who I am. My major is for my career, but the Liberal Arts education is for who I am.”

Maggie has been a huge part of Augsburg's success, as the team is aiming for its fifth straight berth in the MIAC's postseason playoffs. Tonight, the Auggies have a crucial game against Carleton (7:30 p.m. at Edor Nelson Field).