Monday, September 29, 2008

Matt Bowman update

Augsburg men's soccer player Matt Bowman will be occasionally blogging here regarding his recovery from open-heart surgery earlier this month (related posts: Sept. 9, Sept. 22, Sept. 24), and his rehabilitation process as he aims to return to the Auggies next season.

I can't describe in words how crazy this past month has been, ever since I collapsed on Aug. 20. As some of you know, I was diagnosed with an anomalous coronary artery, which I have had since birth. Although it was hard to hear this, I was deeply thankful that the doctors were able to find the problem. To correct this defect, I had to have open-heart surgery.

The turning point for me, after the diagnosis, was that I remembered that this was all out of my hands. The fact that I got up after the incident on the field still amazes me,
and I truly believe God was watching over me and has been all along. When I came to this realization, I was at peace with the whole situation. After my friends and family found out, the support came pouring in. I am forever grateful for these people in my life.

I quickly became aware that support was even coming from people I didn't even know. The thought of these people taking time out of their day to pray and think of me
was overwhelming. I wish I could thank each one of these people in person, but I know that would be impossible. What I do want them to know is that I apprecieate everything they have done for me, and that they made this whole process so much easier for me. I want to give a special thanks to the people that were close to me throughout this past month. This includes my family, girlfriend, roomates, coaches, teamates, and Augsburg College. They did everything they could to show their support for me and it was more than I could've ever asked for. My story is much bigger than me, and it is only amazing because of the people that have been involved.

Since the surgery is over, I have been feeling better every day. I have a few check-ups and rehab appointments left which are scheduled in the next few weeks. It was great
to be back on the bench, and beating St. Olaf made it that much better! Not being on the field with my teamates is hard, but just to be in that competitive soccer environment feels great. Around mid-November, I should be cleared to play again. That day will not come soon enough, but I am thankful just to be where I am right now.