Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Shooting a 65!

So what's it like to shoot a 65 in golf? Tony Vanyo knows now. The Augsburg men's golf junior shot the unbelievable 7-under-par score in Monday's final round of the Gustavus Twin Cities Classic. He finished ninth overall in the 117-player tournament, featuring some of the best small-college golfers in the Midwest.

Vanyo's score is the lowest recorded by an Augsburg golfer in a single round in the recent history of the school's men's golf program (1980-82, 1988-present). The previous lowest score was a 68 by
Eric Rolland in a 1997 meet. According to a survey of MIAC schools, Vanyo's score is also tied with three others for the second-lowest score in a single round in conference men's golf history; the lowest score was a 64 by St. Thomas' Mark Hadley in a 2005 meet.


He talks about his round below.


Starting on the 10th tee, I was feeling pretty good about my game. The previous two days of the Twin Cities Classic, my putter had been the only thing that was shaky. So starting off hole 10, I hit a smooth approach shot to about six feet for birdie. I have this crazy superstition that if I birdie the first hole, I never end up playing that well overall. I did miss my first putt that realistically was pretty easy and very makable. Walking off the green, I looked at coach Ted Vickerman, saw him with a smile and smiled back knowing that he knew about my superstition of birdieing the first whole.

The next hole was a average par-3, which I again hit a great shot about eight feet from the hole, and proceeded to miss the relatively easy birdie putt again. I then took a par on the next hole, which was a par-4.
Finally made it to the first par-5. I like par-5s because I consider them my scoring holes, holes that I should birdie, and this is where my round started to get exciting. I made about a 10-footer for birdie and was 1-under-par.

I then followed that hole with another birdie to bring myself to 2-under-par. Thinking to myself, "Play a little conservative, just keep a good rhythm going." Hole 15 was very challenging because of the awkward green; I was very fortunate to take a par and was more than happy with that score. The second par-5 I reached in two and was inches away from a great shot, but settled for a two-putt birdie, which I was more than happy with. Hole 17, a long par-3 with swirling winds that I didn’t really feel comfortable playing, turned out to be not so bad. I hit a 5-iron to about the length of my putter, which I made pretty easily.

Sitting on my ninth hole, White Bear Yacht Club’s 18th, I did not know where to go with my drive. A blind shot had me feeling nervous. I hit my drive and did not see it -- a person from my group said it should be perfect and my ball was. My approach was about 60 yards downhill to a flat green with the pin right in the middle. My thoughts were to just put it on and two-putt. My shot turned out to be spectacular, sitting about four feet from the cup and proceeded to make it for my fifth birdie on that side and fifth in the last six holes. I played my career-best on the back nine holes shooting 31, 5-under-par at the turn.


I started out on hole 10 with yet another birdie, but actually had to make a decently long putt of about 12 feet. The next hole was a bit of a groove killer; I had hit a great shot into the green to almost a gimme range and had missed it to take par. The next par-5 was a bit lengthy, but I had crushed a drive, putting myself in a great position to, if not get there in two, be really close. This is when I began to get a little shaky. I hit a 3-wood that I pushed way right and was clearly going to go out of bounds. My head was about to drop when suddenly my ball struck a tree and kicked out almost to the fairway and ended up perfectly fine. Immediately following the miss-hit, I hopped right back into my groove and stuck a wedge only to make my seventh birdie. It was a great break that I took advantage of.

The next two holes I was happy to take par on and was now on the second par-5, which was very short. After hitting a great drive right down the middle, I was thinking to myself this should be another easy birdie. Well it wasn't, I took an easy par instead and at that point and the way I was playing, I did not want to take a bogey. Hole 17, my tee shot was just over the green of the longer par 3, chipped close and took my par very happily.


Hole 18, a par-5 reachable in two, I was again thinking birdie. My drive I thought was hit pretty well, but did get a not favorable bounce and had a very awkward stance. I just wanted to get it out to the fairway to a distance that would be easy to hit the green. I was thinking just get it to the 150-yard marker, and that’s what I did. My approach on 18 was blind; I could not see the green at all and had just the tip of a building I was aiming at that was in line with the center of the green. I had hit the green in regulation with a pretty good chance at my eighth birdie of the round. My 64th shot missed by about two feet, and I was pretty nervous standing over my last putt, almost backing away to take another look. I was thinking to myself, "65 sounds a lot better than 66."